You do not need to be an expert in anything to become part of amateur theatre, and there are so many areas that you could help out with, such as:
- Acting, singing and dancing (although not necessarily at the same time, except in panto!)
- Technical roles; including Stage Manager, Stagehand, Props, designing and making costumes, Lighting designer, Sound designer and Set Builder.
- Directing; submitting ideas for shows to the committee, then running auditions, casting it, then providing and communicate the overall artistic look and feel through rehearsals with the cast and crew.
- Producing; taking responsibility for all administrative tasks for the show, including the booking of venues and providing financial management.
- Front of House roles; including selling tickets, welcoming the audience or working on the bar.
For detailed explanations about the kinds of roles available, please download our Production Roles list.
How do I become a member?
We always give a warm welcome to any new members wishing to join the group and you don’t need to be an expert in anything to be part of the amateur dramatics world – in fact it’s a great way to learn something new. Rehearsals are usually held on Mondays and Wednesdays, although this can vary depending on the production.
There are two types of membership available:
This membership costs just £10 for adults and £5 for concessions and is paid on an annual basis. It is compulsory for anyone who is acting or in a technical role on one of our productions and entitles you to a range of benefits, including up-front news about upcoming auditions and productions you can get involved with, access to workshops and other group events as well as coverage on our performance insurance. You also have voting rights and can put yourself up for nomination to join the committee at an AGM.
You can become a member by downloading and filling in a membership form.
Friend of RADSOC
This membership is free and is ideal if you want to keep up to date with any productions that you might want to audition for or be involved with in some way, but don’t want to commit to full membership straight away.
All previous paid members are added to this membership group when their paid membership expires until the point at which they renew and become a paid member again.
To become a Friend, please contact us and we’ll add you to the list.